Friday 19 April 2013

Admin Support for MPs


From Stella Creasy MP's Newsletter

MP Response Times: Update and response from IPSA
 
Further to my earlier e-newsletter I have now recieved a response from the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority who manage the budgets for MP expenditure with regard to my request for an additional member of administrative staff to be able to manage the increase in correspondence my office has recieved in the course of the last few months. IPSA have accepted the pressures on MPs have increased as alternative advice services have been reduced and substantial changes to public services are brought in, meaning many residents are seeking assistance with these matters. In addition the increase in email campaigns and the requirements of the parliamentary calendar create further demands on my office that at present we are struggling to manage. 

However, IPSA have also decided not to provide resources to MPs to cope with this increase in demand for assistance and have therefore rejected this request. In seeking advice as to how to address these issues without additional help their suggestions have included not responding to some residents, increasing further the delay in responding and using unpaid interns- all of which I do not believe Walthamstow residents would accept as appropriate (you can read my policy on internships here) .
 
I will be meeting with IPSA next week to seek to understand how to challenge this decision as I believe it will have severe consequences for my ability to provide the service to Walthamstow residents desire. In the meantime I apologise to anyone who is waiting for a response from my office and I hope residents will understand that there may be a delay in recieiving information from me at this time due to these pressures. I will update this e-newsletter with details of what options for resolving this matter are provided next week. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome - but please be polite!